Thursday, November 6, 2014

I Need an Ear to Hear

It's supposed to be a busy day today. I have a lot of things to do. I usually don't get them all done and I most likely won't get them all done today. But to follow what is on my heart I have to make myself available to satisfy my true needs. More than I know, I need to write what is on my heart because words so often become tangled in my mouth. As they come out they usually appear to demand a response when all I want are faithful ears. Even if in wrong or right, the thoughts I have, good and bad, sometimes are tormenting unless I can hear myself say them or see them on paper, or I guess in this case, digital form.

I continue to read Letters by a Modern Mystic. I have read it in the past when everything in it seemed attainable and possible and now reading it again the reality and depth of the words I read sink deeper because I know the true reality of this amazing relationship with our Father. It's not a list of simple tasks to be finished and accomplished but a lifestyle that has to be worked out with fear and trembling.

Today, I read a passage where the author asks God bluntly, "why do you not speak more often and audibly and why let us do all the talking all the time?" To summarize, the author hears God's response, "so you can figure yourself out." Just as I was saying above we all need this opportunity to talk through our thoughts and experiences to see what we really believe. To see what is true and what is false. To see who we really are and to see what's imposing in our lives. We need a person to listen to our rediculous rants and complaints and wildest dreams and imaginations without finding fault. And that's Him. He listens intently and enjoys every moment of it like a babbling child, without finding fault and mistakes in our words. The point is that He hears and He is a good listener and He responds to our needs because He is always available to tend to what we really need. He knows what we need before we do.

This hit me in an extroadinary way this morning. People have been coming to me surrounding me and figuratively dumping their thoughts onto me and as soon as they're done they jump out of their seat to go on to what they need to get done. It has effected me deeply, and I have been asking God, "Why?!" Why do they come to me and offer all of their deepest thoughs and thinkings, complaints, worries, emotions, everything and anything. It's been aggravating because I have no clue what to do with all their stuff. Yeah, I need to give it to God, but now I want to avoid that person because they won't stop talking when I see them. I like silence. But today I read God's response, and therefore how I should respond, "let others talk a great deal to you, appreciating every fine thing they say and neglecting their mistakes." 

Because I have ears, I will listen and maybe I will think of how great of a listener God is when I am listening. I must confess, I have sickened myself with how terrible I am at listening, therefore I have asked God to help me be a better listener. All those these opportunities lie ahead. 

I turned to Matthew 3:14, "but John tried to deter Him (Jesus), saying, "I need to be baptized by You, and You come to me?" 
Too often we think that we are unequipped and that we need more than we have. What do you do when God comes to you with a need? The only thing I can think of to do is to make myself available to Him. He showed me a picture or a scene like out of a movie but my life, much less action packed. In this scene I listened to the immense unending worries of a certain person, and in that moment I asked myself, "what can I do here? I can't do anything to help this person!" Then my thought was, "this person just needs a break, something to get their mind off of their issues." So I dropped what I was doing and asked them, "you want to go get coffee or something to eat, and do something fun?" And all it cost me is a bit of time and maybe a meal or a cup of coffee. That persons issues wouldn't be resolved but making myself available to spend some time with them to show love and to get their mind off of the daunting problem so they can possibly see from a different perspective, only if even for a moment.

So then, my priority is to be available to God, to say yes to Him when I think I have nothing and that I need more. When someone comes with a true need, to respond to them like God always responds to me. To Listen and then invest in that person in front of me like God does day after day. 

And those are my thoughts. Thanks for reading/listening! Many blessings upon you, may God show you the way when you don't know how to respond or what to do. I believe that these people would not be encountering you unless you held a part or whole to their resolution. Remember to talk to Him, and divulge everything, you never know what amazing things He will say to you and show you in response. 

Blessings!

No comments: